Aloha AAJA Hawaii, just passing along this opportunity.
Applications are now open for the Winter 2020 round of the McGraw Fellowships for Business Journalism, which provide financial and editorial support to journalists working on high-impact stories on financial, economic or business topics. As always, we’d much appreciate any help you can give us in getting the word out to your members!
Grants up to $15K to Produce High-Impact Business Journalism — Apply by 1/31/20
Got a great idea for a story that ‘Follows the Money’? Apply now for the Winter 2020 McGraw Fellowship for Business Journalism, an initiative of the Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY that supports high-impact economic and business journalism. The McGraw Fellowships provide up to $15,000 and editorial support for experienced journalists to produce deeply-reported investigative or enterprise stories on important economic, financial or business topics. No residency is required; McGraw Fellows work from their own offices. Open to both freelance and staff journalists with five years professional experience. Winter 2020 applications are due January 31, 2020.
Previous McGraw Fellows have worked on a wide range of topics – and you don’t need to be a business reporter to apply. Many McGraw Fellows have been generalists, or cover other beats such as health care or the environment. Here are a few examples:
- Company insiders are selling stock during buybacks and making additional profits when stock prices jump. And it’s legal. Washington Post
- Seniors were sold a risk-free retirement with reverse mortgages. Now they face foreclosure. USA Today
- How the Norcross Political Machine Muscled in on Prime Real Estate in New Jersey’s Poorest City WNYC & Pro Publica
- New Workers of the World: Capturing the voices of workers facing unprecedented change Bloomberg Businessweek
- What Would Jesus Disrupt? Bloomberg Businessweek
- Two Nations, One Aquifer: A series about water at the border Albuquerque Journal
You’ll find more information at bit.ly/McGrawFellows. You can also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please let me know if there’s any further information I can provide you. We’d be very interested in hearing from any of your members who might have good projects in need of funding, so thanks in advance for any help you can give us in spreading the word.
McGraw Center for Business Journalism
Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY
Check out the McGraw Fellowship: Grants up to $15K to report investigative and enterprise stories on business/financial topics.