Paid journalism internships available this summer through SPJ’s Hawaii chapter.
Print, online, and broadcast journalism and public relations internships are being offered in summer 2012 through the Hawaii chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists.
Full-time internships (10 weeks at 40 hours/week ) with a $3,600 salary:
- Honolulu Star-Advertiser (daily newspaper)
- Pacific Business News (weekly business newspaper)
- Hawaii Business magazine (monthly business magazine)
- Honolulu magazine (monthly city magazine)
- Pacific Edge magazine (quarterly business/lifestyle magazine)
- Trade Publishing (trade publications)
- Honolulu Civil Beat (online news)
- Alexander & Baldwin (corporate public relations)
- Hawaii News Now (TV news)
Part-time internships (8 weeks at 27 hours/week) with a $2,106 salary:
- KHON Channel 2 (TV news)
- KITV Channel 4 (TV news)
Who is eligible: Preference is given to applicants who are Hawaii residents enrolled in a college or university and who went to high school in Hawaii. Preference is also given to students enrolled in a college or university in Hawaii. Applicants will be considered if they will have completed their sophomore year of college by June 2012. Recent graduates are also eligible.
How to apply:
- Visit www.hawaiispj.org to fill out an online application form.
- Write a cover letter introducing yourself and explaining why you want an internship, list your relevant coursework or news media experience, and include three references with their contact information.
- Include samples of your news media work. You can send these as URL links; pdfs,, Word, or .txt files; wmv files for video; or wav files for audio.
Send all materials labeled with your name to email@example.com.
Deadline: February 29, 2012
You will be contacted directly by the news media if they wish to interview you for an internship. If you are a candidate, you will be contacted by April 1.
For more information, contact SPJ’s Craig DeSilva at (808) 282-1038 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.