Print, online and broadcast journalism and public relations internships are being offered in the summer of 2011 through the Hawaii chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists.
Who is eligible: Preference is given to applicants who are Hawaii residents enrolled in a college or university and who went to high school in Hawaii. Preference is also given to students enrolled in a college or university in Hawaii. Applicants will be considered if they will have completed their sophomore year of college by June 2011. Recent graduates are also eligible.
The following full-time SPJ internships will consist of at least 10 weeks of work at 40 hours a week and will earn at least $3,250:
- Honolulu Star-Advertiser (daily newspaper)
- Pacific Business News (weekly business newspaper)
- Hawaii Business magazine (monthly business magazine)
- Honolulu magazine (monthly city magazine)
- Pacific Edge magazine (quarterly business/lifestyle magazine)
- Trade Publishing Co. (trade publications)
- Honolulu Civil Beat (online news)
- Alexander & Baldwin (corporate public relations)
- Bright Light Marketing Group (public relations)
- Hawaii News Now (television news)
The following part-time SPJ internships will consist of 8 weeks of work at 27 hours a week and will earn $1,750:
- KHON Channel 2 (television news)
- KITV Channel 4 (television news)
- Hawaii Public Radio (radio news)
How to apply:
- Visit www.hawaiispj.org to fill out an online application form.
- Write a cover letter introducing yourself, explaining why you want an internship, listing your relevant coursework or news media experience, and three references with their contact information.
- Include examples of your news media work. You can send these as url links; pdfs, Word or .txt files for articles; wmv files for video; or wav files for audio.
Send all materials labeled with your name to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: Feb. 28, 2011
You will be contacted directly by the news media if they wish to interview you for an internship. If you are a candidate, you will be contacted by March 31.
For more information, contact SPJ’s Craig DeSilva at (808) 282-1038 or at email@example.com.
Download: 2011 SPJ Internship application